Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!


It's been a busy, busy day down here in Alabama. It's Sylvia's first Christmas, which was probably more exciting for us adults than for her. Nevertheless, it's been a beautiful holiday. Yesterday evening we went to a Methodist Christmas eve candle light service, which I really enjoyed since most of it was music. There was even a moment Derrick found entertaining. During the minister's homily he asked rhetorically, "have you ever asked God for a sign?" Some child four or five rows ahead of us responded, "no," just loud enough for about the back quarter of the room to hear. Ah, children. I think moments like that must be the real reason we have them.

Sylvia was impressively well-behaved, and exceptionally cute, and Derrick's Mom enjoyed every moment with her. As much as I love holding Sylvia, as proud as I am of her, I think Derrick is about 10 times as excited about Sylvia as I am. It's so wonderful to be able to share this time with her.

This morning Sylvia woke me up at about 6:30 with her kicking, and then fell back asleep. I did not. After trying to not wake up Derrick with my fidgeting for about an hour I got up and showered and got ready for the day, then went downstairs for breakfast. Finally, after breakfast and clean-up, and about every other activity I could think of to occupy myself, I gave in and woke up Sylvia for Christmas morning. I put on her "Baby's first Christmas" hat and tied the jingle bells I'd strung on leather laces around her wrists. Every time she swung her arms (which was frequent--her newest favorite action is swinging her arm around in a big circle, hitting herself in the face as often as not) she jingled and jangled. When we walked into the living room, she stole the show.

Santa was good to us this year, but not so good that we won't be able to get everything back to West Lafayette. I kind of expected it to be a bit sad--Derrick's Grandma passed away the Wednesday of AGU--but really I think it was about the most relaxed, fun Christmas we've had. Most especially because all of us spent at least half our time focused on Sylvia. Even though all she does at this point is coo and squawk, she brings a whole new dynamic to the family that really brightens the holiday season.

1 comment:

  1. I think having a baby at Christmastime is the best thing. It is a sweet reminder of Mary and Baby Jesus and they are so stinking cute. Happy Christmas little Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete