Thursday, February 2, 2012

Predictable

We have a bunch of apples sitting around the house. I bought them a while ago, intending to make apple crisp, or an apple tart, or something with apples, but with life the way it is (and with lately holding up the world on my shoulders--at least according to my children) I haven't had time.

Today is a friend's birthday, so I decided that was a good excuse to make something, and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and make something with apples for her. So, I made a batch of sweet roll dough and made apple caramel monkey bread with it. She called just as I was putting it all together and invited me over, so I dragged the unbaked bread over to her house (aren't I a great friend?) and asked her to bake it.

Man, I have to say, I was sad to leave that bread there when I went home. Fortunately, I made more than enough sweet roll dough to make a batch for myself. Mmm, yum.

My friend's mom called her this morning to wish her a happy birthday and asked if she'd made a cake for herself. She said no because she was expecting a friend (me) to make something for her. Sometimes it good to know I'm predictable.

Sweet roll dough

2 c milk
1 stick butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 Tbsp honey
3/4 c white sugar (though I'd probably increase this for cinnamon rolls)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder (heaping)
1/2 tsp baking soda (scant)
5-6 c flour

To make sponge, combine milk, butter, eggs, yeast, honey, and 2 c of flour and mix until no longer lumpy. Combine 2 c flour with salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder and pour over sponge, covering surface completely. Leave sponge to rise a couple of hours. The sponge should bubble through the flour mixture. Mix together and add enough extra flour to make the dough no longer shiny (the dough will still be very sticky and wet). Chill dough in refrigerator to make it easier to handle.

Caramel


1 1/2 c brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 c cream

Melt butter in a pan. Add brown sugar. Bring just to a low boil and add cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment