Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pure Morning

My grandma Mimi sent me the coolest thing last week--a bag with "Well-behaved women seldom make history" emblazoned across it. I took it with me to church and only a couple of people noticed it, but both thought it was great. The phrase is the title of Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's newest book, which I lent to Mimi after reading it myself. I bought the book after listening to her on the Diane Rehm show, which I was directed to by a blog post on this post at times and seasons. Listening to her speak was fascinating--her voice has the cadence of a General Relief Society President speaking in General Conference, but her words were definitely not those of your typical RS president. I loved the book, especially the last chapter, where Ulrich talks about her involvement in the Exponent II and the women's movement in the 70's. It's a pretty easy read and full of women who are definitely worthy of remembrance, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich especially!

No comments:

Post a Comment