Monday, November 8, 2010

Pinko

My father in law called me a commie today.

Admittedly, I goaded him into it, telling him that the government should be in the business of redistributing wealth. Not that I think income equality should be strictly enforced--there are jobs that certainly deserve higher or lower pay--only that the current system supports too much income inequality and, since people are unlikely to take the steps necessary to fix that on their own, the government should step in.

But that's big government, and I'm a tax and spend liberal, a.k.a--communist.

Derrick, being the caring son that he is, called his parents back later to skype with Sylvia and go through stuff we want them to bring out at Christmas. He really is a good son and I skould learn more charity from him.

In other news, there's a bit of a baby boom in my new ward. Something like 9 women are pregnant--many suddenly (to me, gone for a couple of weeks) visibly so. Seven or eight of women got together for a picture after church, which reminded me of the picture we took of all us pregnant ladies just before Sylvia was born.

2 comments:

  1. If you're a commie, I am too. I'm in good company! Sometime I'll have to tell you about some conversations with my inlaws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! I'm never quite sure what to make of the conversations, either. I mean, I'm pretty set in my opinions, as are they, so I don't know why we're talking about politics. Are they looking for validation, or wanting to pass along their world view? Do they think they need to educate us, to show us their wisdom and guide us away from our youthful foolishness? They're coming out for Christmas and will be here for most of December, and none of us are likely to shy away from politics completely. I kind of need to figure out a way to deal with this that won't lead to two weeks of tension...

    ReplyDelete