Friday, May 20, 2011

Sugar and spice

This evening, while I was cleaning up after dinner, Sylvia discovered a huge cache of slugs living under one of our potted plants. As she loves to share her discoveries with her parents, she ran inside and insisted I come out and see the slugs. Twice, since apparently my first examination of them was too short.

At least she didn't insist I hold any of them. When it rains she goes around the yard collecting snails, most of which I have to hold while we walk to school.

It brings to mind the nursery rhyme,

What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice and things that are nice,
That's what little girls are made of.

What are little boys made of?
Sticks and snails and puppy-dog tails,
That's what little boys are made of.


Except in the case of my daughter, it's probably slugs and snails and puppy-dog tails.

Is it coincidence I caved to my daughters wishes for lip gloss this evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment