Thursday, October 8, 2009

Houston, we have liftoff





Yep, she's walking. Real, honest to goodness toddling, forward movement included. The pictures don't really do it justice, but you can see the joy in her features as she masters a new set of movements.

This evening we stayed for dinner with some friends who live at Purdue Village (mostly grad-student housing). Sylvia wasn't interested in eating, of course, wanting only to play with me. The most interesting activity for her was holding my hands and walking after the other kids who were playing. At the time I was a little annoyed since I was hungry and more interested in talking to adults than in following small children around. Tonight, watching Sylvia take those small, tentative steps I felt a pang of sadness, knowing the days she'll want to hold my hands, the days she'll want my help, the days she'll need my support, are few and are rushing past.

No comments:

Post a Comment