Friday, October 2, 2009

Spicy spit

Tomorrow is my ward's chili cook-off, for which I'm planning on making a pot of chili. Adventurous soul that I am, I'm making a chili that pays homage to moles--meaning basically I'm taking a bunch of dried chili peppers, toasting them on a skillet, and then re-hydrating them. Perhaps my decision making skills are a little impaired by the lateness of the evening (it is about 1 am, after all) but I thought it would be a good idea to roast all the chilis--including a couple of habanero chilis.

You know, the second hottest chilis on Earth.

Toasting the other chilis aerosolizes their capsaicin, which not infrequently leaves one choking and sneezing. Hapaneros, being about 10,000 times hotter, are also about 10,000 times worse. The spit in the back of my throat tastes spicy from breathing in the vapors from 30 seconds of toasting. Man, this had better be some darn good chili.

2 comments:

  1. So was it good? And how was the chili cook-off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cook-off was fun! My chili turned out pretty good--definitely something I'll make again (though probably with some tweaking). It's a lot of work to make a mole base for the chili, but I really liked the flavor.

    ReplyDelete