Friday, January 7, 2011

Epiphany

My religion doesn't have a tradition of celebrating epiphany. I don't get the impression it's a very common part of the Christmas tradition for a lot of protestant sects, though, so that's not all that surprising.

Because I'm curious (and because for me an epiphany is about coming to a realization about something previously confusing), I'm going to ask a question. For those of you who don't believe global warming is an issue (if there's anyone like that who reads this blog, anyway), what is it about the way global warming is presented that makes you feel the way you do? I can understand not wanting to do anything about carbon emissions for economic reasons--I think those sorts of arguments have some amount of validity. I don't get why we can't get to that conversation, though, since we're still stuck on the "is it real or not?" conversation. So, rather than rail, I'm going to ask: what offends you about the assertions of climate change? Are you afraid of what you'll be asked to do if it's real, or do you just not trust the message-bringers?

No comments:

Post a Comment