Friday, January 15, 2010

Water

Over Christmas I saw (bits and pieces of) a program on the History channel on survival after societal collapse. The program focused mostly on the resources that are required to keep you alive (food, water), where you can find those after the most obvious supplies are exhausted, and what happens physiologically when you're denied food and water for an extended period of time and how to deal with those effects.

As I've been listening and reading about the Haiti earthquake and its aftermath, I'm struck by the focus on food while forgetting about water. You can survive much longer without food than you can without water, yet we think of sending food first. In my ward there's a project (announced just before the Haiti quake) to put together 72 hour kits. It's a great idea, but again, the 72 hour kit is mostly food for three days, not water. Really, I'd think it most important to have a filter or iodine tablets in an emergency. I guess that means I should put together my own 72 hour kit with some water and some iodine for an emergency.

1 comment:

  1. I think about this too. I've started saving two and one liter bottles and filling them up with water and putting them in my basement. I need to buy some iodine tablets or something because I'm sure I'll need those too. One cool thing we have in our yard is an old rain barrel under the ground. When we last looked in there, the water was deep and clear -- so we just need some purification tablets and hopefully we can use that too in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete