Saturday, February 19, 2011

Legislative fun

Want a peek into the political argument going on in Washington? Well, the GOP has provided a lovely of all the amendments proposed for the H.R. 1 bill (the budget).

Ideology is proudly on display in those amendment, folks, with republicans proposing to de-fund any bill or organization they don't like (Health care, the new consumer protection agency, the IPCC, NSF, NOAA, and EPA, and the list goes on). Dems mostly either take aim at the military or simply strike out sections of the H.R. 1 bill. It's a pretty mind-numbing read, though sadly important, while at the same time a complete waste of time in terms of actually attacking the problems they're supposedly aiming at.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Sorry, I couldn't make it through the whole list. I made it through the first hundred or so and then realized it went on for another four hundred plus and gave up. Some I can see where they're coming from, others, I'm just left scratching my head, wondering why that could possibly need stating. Should be interesting to see what the end result is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you made it further than I did. I started skimming eventually because it was just so mind-numbing.

    I got this off a list-serv for women in geosciences from someone advocating on behalf of NSF, NOAA, and the IPCC. I'm wishing I lived someplace where what I think mattered.

    Or even better, someplace where people acted logically and reasonably dispassionately, instead of just going for ideological outrage.

    ReplyDelete