Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's day

Sylvia's standing up and even cruising a bit, which is more than a little scary!

Derrick left for Utah yesterday (isn't it awesome my husband leaves for my first Mother's day?) Sylvia and I are having a pretty good time together so far, though. Getting ready for church, and especially printing the program, was a little more exciting than usual, but really not that bad. I just have to leave myself more time to get things done.

One of the talks today I really enjoyed. Bro. Tree talked about his many mothers (since his mother divorced his father and he was raised as much by his grandmother and aunts) and how much admiration he had for them. The only thing he said about them that bothered me is he said they never took handouts from anyone. They did accept food from the Bishop's storehouse, but only if the giving was couched in terms other than welfare.

I can understand that pride, sort of, but I worry about the elevation of it to a virtue. I think it's a virtue to work hard, but there are times (like during the Great Depression and right now) when no amount of hard work will prevent many people from falling into bad circumstances. Self-reliance is a grand ideal, but there are times when it's very simply impossible, and not because a person is lazy, but just because a situation makes it impossible. I wish I heard more stories over the pulpit about people who graciously accepted the help offered by those around them and then turned around and gave back when their circumstances improved.

The other story I liked was one about Hyrum Smith's wife (and Joseph F. Smith's mother). While she was crossing the plains her ox fell sick and the brethren deemed sick animals undeserving of priesthood blessings. So, she blessed them (he said prayed over them, but at the time women were allowed to give blessings so I'm guessing she actually blessed them) and they were healed. Reminded me of the wife of the branch president when I was at PSU, who hurt her hand and was told by her husband that such an injury didn't warrant a priesthood blessing. Perhaps we women should have gotten together and prayed over the wounded hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment