Thursday, September 16, 2010

It seems like you're poor

Yesterday evening my cousin from Utah came to visit us with her husband and two of her four kids. We fed them pasta and this luscious cake, and kept them far too late before sending them north to LA.

Her oldest son is in a very honest part of his life. At one point he said to me, "it seems like you're kind of poor." I had to laugh (as did his Mom). I'm sure it does seem like we're poor to a kid who is used to much bigger, much newer houses than the one we're living in. Mostly our relative poverty stems from living in California. Our rent for a two bedroom duplex is about the same as my cousin's first mortgage for a brand-new, three bedroom, large, airy house in Lehi, UT.

Man, isn't southern California wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment