Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's not Promoxis nigaris, papa

I've been a fan of fish and of fishing since I was a small child. Supposedly I was so into fish that I started learning the scientific names of the species we fished for from a big, red book I still have fond memories of. There's a story that's been told many times about me that while fishing with my dad and uncle, I insisted on reeling in every fish they hooked. Upon landing the black crappie, I would announce, "it's a Promoxis nigaris, Papa!"

Well, guess what: it's not Promoxis nigaris. Apparently black crappie is actually Pomoxis nigromaculatus. Sigh.

Sylvia's following in my footsteps and absolutely loves fish. If she starts learning scientific names for things, I'll have to do a better job of teaching her the correct terms so she doesn't have a moment like this one someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment