Saturday, August 23, 2008

Watermelon


For as bad as Derrick and I are at gardening (and we really aren't any good) I'm still impressed at our ability to eat what we grow. Tonight we had a cucumber, tomato, and onion salad--and all of it was from our garden. We won't be able to do it again any time soon, unless our cucumbers decide to start producing again or the new ones we planted grow amazingly quickly, but tonight we were able to enjoy a dish that, with the exception of the condiments (vinegar and olive oil and a few spices) was entirely home-grown.

Yi-Chou came over, and brought her two girls to see Sylvia this evening, and the five of us shared a half a watermelon, also from our garden. The watermelon was obviously pretty small if five of us ate half of it (the thing was maybe 8 inches across), but it was a very good melon. And unlike the melons you get in the store nowadays, it had real, black, spittable seeds. I'm glad I was able to share the watermelon with Yi-Chou and her girls--next time we'll have to have a seed-spitting contest, though!

Here are a few of the choice pictures Derrick and I have taken recently of Sylvia. I'm glad Derrick finally got one of Sylvia and I asleep together that doesn't involve either of us looking like we're passed out. I also managed to get a cute one of Sylvia playing with Derrick's beard. She's starting to respond more to tactile stimulus, though she's still a ways off from being truly responsive to her environment.



1 comment: